OUR TOP 5 HALLOWEEN SAFE DRIVING TIPS
Halloween Driving Safety Tips
On The Roads This Halloween?
Our Top 5 Halloween Safe Driving Tips
In just a few sleeps, all the little ghouls and goblins will be roaming our neighbourhoods. And as Halloween Night transitions into an inclusive adults also night of fun and festivities, more and more drivers take to our streets enroute to their parties. If you have big Halloween plans, please remember to share the road and our streets with children. Your extra care and attention is critical.
If you are behind the wheel on Halloween Night, please remember the Big 5 of Safe Halloween Driving:
- Slow Down. Speed kills. Leave a few minutes early and give yourself the extra time you need to deal with the congestion and traffic. Don't fall into the trap of rushing on the road because you didn't plan for the crowds;
- Stop For Children. Prepare for the worst and expect the unexpected. Children are excited and distracted as they race from door to door. Be aware that a child may run out in front of your car. As the mature adult driver of a vehicle, you have the last clear chance to avoid a tragedy;
- Avoid The 'Burbs. Don't drive in our heavily congested suburbs during peak hours of 6pm-9pm. Not only are the local kids out and about, van loads of rural children appear for easy suburban trick or treating;
- Put The Phone Down. Better yet, leave it at home. Don't drive distracted; and
- Don't Drink and Drive. Don't do it. Plan your designated driver. Call a cab. Cars, alcohol and streets full of children are a horrifying mix.
When you get behind the wheel this Halloween, think ahead. A little extra planning and attention may save a child's life.
On Our Roads This Halloween?